Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Korean culture

Since Roz displayed about Korean culture and present, here is something I just published in Moccassin the Apache newspaper. What grandma thought about the present.

My mother told me when I was in middle school that you should give what you think precious as gift to others as she was making delicious rice cake to give my dad’s friend. 

   Hyacinth Wilson, Apache burden basket weaver told me a beautiful story about the Apache Burden Basket. As she was displaying her beautifully made basket, she said “ My mother told me when you weave the bottom it is molding the childhood, the side is the teenage life blossoming, the top ring is adult life holding your life together, the wrapping of the top is old life wrapping up and the jingle is the harmony or melody of the life.”

  When I hear such a beautiful story I think of the Korean poem I cherish.

The poem is for young girls to recite when they embroider something.

While I was running the sky

I dig out a tree without root

It was planted at my garden

One branch produced a sun

One branch produced a moon

One branch produced stars

Took the sun to make outside

Took the moon to lay inside

Took the stars to embroider

Sew rainbow around it

Make string with double rainbow

A precious bag I have made

Hung the precious bag on the wall

Think about friend and look at the precious bag

I don’t want to give that precious bag to my friend.

What she made is so precious and pretty to give away but I want to think she gave away eventually. Because my mother may have given the precious one.

 

 


No comments: